Friday, May 13, 2011

Amsterdam...you know what that means

Keukenhof Gardens...aka the promised land
So yes, we went to Amsterdam last weekend.  Yes, it has taken me a long time to blog it out.  Yes, it was pretty much ridiculous...as expected.  No, the delay in blogging does not suggest that the weekend turned into a recreation of The Hangover (as far as you know).  In actuality, it's just been an insane week...you know how my life is...crazy busy.  Anyway, here's what I thought about A-Dam...full picture tour available in the album.

-  First off, the canal aspect of Amsterdam makes for a pretty cool setup.  I'm a big fan of water...both drinking and body of forms.
Yes, I am that cool
-  The interesting thing about walking around in Amsterdam is there's the weird smell that seems to pervade the atmosphere.  Not sure what it is, but the only other place I've only smelled anything like it is at rock concerts.  On an unrelated note, some of the coffee shops have the strangest names.  My favorite was the Green House.  I was like, what's with that name, there were no plants, incubators, or special lights anywhere in the place.  That weird smell was particularly strong around there too...weird.

-  Of course, you all know what Amsterdam is best known for...tulips.  I'm getting to those soon, I promise.

-  Just for kicks, I walked up to a guy wearing a Rastafarian hat and asked, "where can I score some dope." Classic, I know.  He was like..."that store there and the one beside it and the one across the street." I guess that prank is funnier pretty much everywhere else.

-  I did manage to score a pretty sweet brownie while we were there.  It was chocked full of...walnuts.  Very delicious.
Mmmm...walnut brownie
-  While we were knocking about town...we strolled past the local condomerie.  What...your town doesn't have one?

-  After our all-night rave in the RLD (red light district for you squares), we sombered things up on Saturday with a trip to the Anne Frank House.  And we have the picture of a plaque to prove it.  In all seriousness, it's a very emotionally-charged site.  Makes you think about man's inhumanity to man and all that.
Huis means House...in case you were wondering...I'm fairly fluent in Dutch
 -  Sunday we made the short jaunt out to Keukenhof Gardens.  I loved this place.  I mean, I'm huge on flowers (obviously) and it also gave me the opportunity to freshen up my modeling portfolio.
Yeah...

That's it...

The camera loves you...
-  And besides where else can you get classic Dutch shots like these...
Huge shoe pictures work on so many levels...interesting note, I saw a little boy actually take off his shoes before getting into the big shoes, quite practical I thought.

Windmills...love those things.
And I finally got to tip toe through the tulips...finally
-  And when I thought it couldn't get any better...we stumbled across a petting zoo! Petting zoos are literally one of my favorite things ever.  I could've stood there for hours.
"Curly...straight...curly...straight." - Homer Simpson

"One wrong move, bunny, and you're mine." - Miniature Horse
-  All and all, Amsterdam was as advertised. I think there city slogan is something like, "We're not as good as Paris, but while you're here you can dress really funny and act ridiculous and nobody will care." It's a niche that has to be filled...

1 comment:

  1. I had one of those brownies once. They are pretty tasty!!

    ReplyDelete