Monday, June 6, 2011

What I'd been waiting for...

Perhaps I never consciously realized what it was, but there was something that has drawn me through much of this past year to the 3rd floor cafe overlooking the River Cam.  I've mentioned the cafe before, it's my favorite chill out spot in Cambridge.  But several weeks ago, I finally experienced what I'd probably been waiting for all along...

It was an ordinary afternoon.  I was on my laptop, sipping a cappuccino, and distractedly watching the punts and row boats passing by in the river below.  When suddenly it happened.  A young couple hired a row boat for an afternoon outing.  There boat was the type where the guy sits, facing his lovely lady and controls both oars with what can only be described as impeccable virility.  You know the type of rowboat...they are often featured in old romantic movies and Andy Griffith episodes when escaped prisoners try to escape but are foiled by a leaky boat.  Anyway, this particular guy was having some trouble steering his boat (no, that's not code).  The poor guy was bouncing off the side walls of the river and ended up pretty much spinning the boat hopelessly in a circle.  Eventually, the woman that runs the boat hire had to come rescue the couple and pull them back to shore.  How emasculating.  I, however, was thoroughly entertained and was a bit sad that the ordeal was over.

Much to my surprise (and delight), minutes later another different type of boat, one where each person controls one free paddle, came bouncing from side to side down the river.  It was the same couple.  Brilliant!  While still trapped in the harbor area, the boat started spinning around again...like a toy boat in a draining bath tub.  By this point, the girl had pulled her oar from the water, placed it across her lap, and folded her arms across her chest in the classic, "I'm done with this" pose.  As a guy, I had serious pity for the poor chap hopelessly trying to salvage his boat trip and maintain his dignity.  We've all been there.  Anyway, I have to give him big props for persevering and directing the boat out of the harbor and down the river...ricocheting from side to side the entire way.

By this point I was thoroughly delighted and all the hours I'd spent in the cafe seemed well worth it.  I do wonder though...did that couple ever make it back?

No comments:

Post a Comment