Monday, February 28, 2011

Randomness...


-  So how did I do on my Oscar predictions, you might ask?  Pretty darn awesome! I nailed the lead acting, best picture, best enchiladas, and best red carpet interviewer categories.  Totally whiffed on the supporting acting categories. In my defense, I really thought that Christian Bale’s ludicrous performance in Batman had officially eliminated him from any future awards consideration…apparently no one else got this memo. A shame really.  Black Swan was still the best film…but whatever.  And regarding the enchiladas, I heard the phrase “out of this world” bandied about quite a bit…Overall, I’d give the Oscar party a solid A.  Had to hold back the plus since we weren’t able to view any part of the awards show or the red carpet…but those are merely details really.

-  Big news…big news! My favorite café instituted a loyalty card program last week. Pretty much my life’s biggest dream has now been fulfilled. My favorite barista said, “I’ll give you one of our new cards…because I know you come here quite a lot.”  Yeah, I do.  Every 8th hot drink is free…heaven.

-  On a tangentially related note, I’ve taken up a new café-centric pastime. Since there is a relatively small, core group of people that inhabit the venue on a regular basis, I’ve taken to creating life stories for each of them.  The one I’m currently focusing on involves a group of three young people (1 guy, 2 girls) that often lounge about the café in different combinations. To picture the guy, think Jesus (with the beard, hair, and all) but unambiguously whiter. One of the girls is his girlfriend…she’s rather spunky in a nerdy kind of way. The other girl is a bit more reserved and thoughtful. She often sits at the window with her back to Jesus in an “I’m not really interested in you…but I really am” type of posture. My intuition tells me that they are all in the same program…probably MPhil in Literature or History (or something). Anyway, it’s painfully clear that girl number two is madly in love with Jesus. Her anguish is almost palpable…in the way she glances over her shoulder to see if he’s watching and most notably when they are all three together at one table. How will this play out in the end?  I’m not sure, but I hope it comes to a resolution in the next few months (before I leave, that is)…preferably with an embarrassing confrontation in the café involving spilled coffees, broken plates, and copious tears.  A guy can dream, can’t he?

-  Watched Alice in Wonderland tonight on DVD.  Fantastic costume design and art direction…or so I’ve heard.

-  Guess who’s going to formal at Trinity College on Friday?  Yeah, these guys…well, I think so at least.  Should be fun…finally crashing one of the old schools.  That place will never be the same after we’re done with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment