Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Academy Awards 2011 – Predictions

I know you have all been anxiously awaiting this one…because if there is one thing I know, it’s film.  What makes this year’s predictions rather unique is that I’ve actually seen a fair number of the nominated movies, so I won’t have to rely on trailers to make my picks.  So without further ado…

Best Picture –

Should win: Black Swan
Will win: The King’s Speech

Very touch category this year.  Out of the ones I’ve seen, Swan, Speech, and Inception are all solid and could have all won in another year.  I don’t really understand why Swan isn’t getting more play here because I felt like it was a cut above the rest and nearly flawless.  Speech was very good, but the ludicrous Churchill character should knock it out of the running.  Why is nobody mentioning this??

Best Actor –

Should win: Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
Will win: Colin Firth

This is pretty much a runaway. Colin was brilliant in this role and deserves the win. My darkhorse would be Javier Bardem who was very solid in Biutiful, but not quite up to Firth’s level. I’m a bit scared that Jeff Bridges might get into the mix because the academy loves him…for some reason.

Best Oscar Party Enchiladas –

Mine…obviously.

Best Actress –

Should win: Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Will win: Natalie Portman

The ultimate slam dunk. This was a career-making performance for Portman and nobody else in the category is in the same league.

Supporting Actor –

Should win: Geoffrey Rush, The King’s Speech
Will win: Geoffrey Rush

Should be a sweep of the actor categories for Speech…Rush was excellent here. I also loved Mark Ruffalo in The Kids Are All Right, but not quite as much. Haven’t seen any of the others, but Christian Bale? Come on…might as well nominate Nicolas Cage and Keanu Reeves while we’re at it.

Supporting Actress –

Will win: Helena Bonham Carter, The King’s Speech

I have very little opinion on this one. Carter’s the only one I’ve seen and she was good, but not spectacular.  I’m counting on the cascade effect for this one…the Speech seems to have momentum. Wouldn’t mind seeing Amy Adams win…just because I like her.

Best Short Film –

Who cares…this whole genre is a sham.

Best Red Carpet Interviewer –

Ryan Seacrest…obviously.

Best Director –

Will win: Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
Should win: Darren Aronofsky

Alright…I’m throwing out a wild guess here on the ‘will win’ category, which will probably be wrong. I say wild guess, because I don’t really understand the criteria. Assumedly it would be the person that made the best movie?  I don’t know. Anyway, as long as the Coens don’t win then I’m good. Speaking of which, does anyone actually like their films? I mean, I haven’t seen True Grit, but both No Country for Old Men and O Brother, Where Art Thou? were complete garbage (that would be rubbish for my UK readers).

As for all the other categories…no one really cares, so I won’t get into those.  I mean sound editing…seriously?

And as for the answer to the most anticipated question of the evening…who will I be wearing? Don’t want to give away my secrets, but I’m leaning towards Arizona (corduroys…classic) or Levi Strauss.  Can’t go wrong really…

No comments:

Post a Comment