Thursday, August 26, 2010

New experiences at the Q…


Now, because I'm a bit drained after my last post...back to the lighter side of life.
As I mentioned before, the back to school crush has certainly taken its toll on my lunch time routine.  While I used to complete my entire dining experience in 15 minutes or so…it now takes me a good 15 minutes just to get my food and get situated.  But, on the bright side…the new term has brought some new blood at the Q and some new opportunities to people watch.
Now, as you know, I usually regard the newbie workers at the Q with healthy disdain.  They are unfamiliar and thus take me out of my comfort zone.  However, I had a most unusual experience yesterday.  The worker at the head of the line was a newb.  The head of the line position is critical, because it serves as the gatekeeper tasked with keeping things moving smoothly.   It’s also difficult…requiring a deft ear, a sharp memory, and the ability to multi-task.  The last newbie that was thrown into the fire at this position was a disaster…she tried hard, but she just didn’t have it (she got relegated to the minor leagues...salsa).  And that was during term break…when things were slow.  So needless to say, I wasn’t very hopeful when I saw another new face in the gatekeeper position today…when the line was something like 15 people deep. 
Much to my surprise…this girl was a natural.  I was captivated.  You know the feeling when you first see someone do something so well, it seems they were born to do it?  Like when you first watch Roger Federer play tennis, Michael Jordan play basketball, or Lady Gaga...perform.  That’s what I experienced today.  This new girl was a natural…she was born to be the Qdoba gatekeeper!  She nailed every order without a stumble and juggled burritos and bowls like…well, a famous juggler (sorry, couldn’t come up with anything).  It was poetry in motion.  I do so enjoy seeing excellence in action...no matter where I find it.

p.s.  The Qdoba gods got back at me today for venturing off campus for food.  When I came back…it was one of the first times I’ve ever had trouble finding a parking spot at UCF…in like 10 years.  Despite all the horror stories you hear…I’ve always managed, through a combination of luck and skill (mostly skill…probably), to secure easy parking.  Today was a different story…I guess that 56K population is taking its toll.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a little disappointed in the stock photo (See "Food Rut: Part II). I believe you could have adequately captivated your audience with a snapshot of the ginormous line... or better yet, the new Qdoba gatekeeper. If she's as good as you say, she could be the next Rachel Ray... have you seen Ms. Ray gather supplies for one of her famous 30 minute meals? One word, wowza!

    As far as famous jugglers go, you should have mentioned Bobby May. Bobby May is considered by many to have been America's finest juggler. It seems like someone as intelligent as yourself should know Bobby May.

    I leave with you with another word from the wise... "haters can make like bees with no stingers, and drop dead".

    - Anon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...this new Anonymous is taking over. Unfortunately...I'm out of film for the old Polaroid (i.e., the camera battery is dead and needs charging)...so stock photos only for now. But I couldn't take pictures of people anyway...that would just be too weird and draw attention to myself.

    On your next point, I agree...I am very intelligent...thanks for noting that. I wonder if Bobby May is related to Bobby Ray (aka B.o.B)?

    Finally, your nuggets of wisdom continue to astound...

    ReplyDelete