Friday, August 6, 2010

Netflix Recommendations...


For your weekend viewing pleasure, a few movies (available on DVD) that I’ve enjoyed recently…in no particular order...
Once – I stumbled across this little gem after watching American Idol this past season (yes…I watched AI last season…no snarky comments necessary). Anyway, this is a story of two struggling musicians in Dublin.  The guy is a native Dubliner and the lead girl is an immigrant from somewhere else (Czech Republic, maybe).  The cool thing about this film is the two main actors (Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova) are actually musicians and not seasoned actors.  They were also a real-life couple for a time…which I find awesome.  While this isn’t an outstanding movie, I enjoyed it and the ending wasn’t cliché, which was a nice change.  Plus, the soundtrack is great.   I have it on my iPod and pump iron to it when I get tired of Gaga (don’t worry Gaga…I never tire of you).  A lot of the songs are of the smooth Irish folksy type, but some of the songs have some real angst.  And there is nothing I like more in my music than a healthy dose of angst.
Youth in Revolt – I would classify this one as certainly weird, but fairly entertaining.  Michael Cera (from Arrested Development, Superbad, Juno, and Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist) really breaks out of his mold and portrays an awkward, lusty teenager pursuing the pretty girl with rich, overly religious parents.  This movie has some good life lessons for all the young people out there...mainly that chicks really do dig criminals.
Up in the Air – This was a decent flick, but I honestly don’t remember much about it except that George Clooney is the star.  The main attraction here for blog followers…listen carefully for the shoutout to Phat Matt from Mr. Clooney himself.
Blood Diamond – One of the best movies I’ve seen recently.  First, it has two of my all-time favorite actors, Leo and Jennifer Connelly.  Second, it’s about Africa.  Third, it’s quite depressing, which just like for books is one of my main criteria for a great movie.  Not sure why I didn’t see it sooner.
Amelie – I just saw this one for probably the fourth time recently because it’s one of my all-time favorites (below the Sound of Music, of course, but squarely in the next level below that). I was very excited to share it with my new wife (or probably fiancée at the time).  Wasn’t her cup of tea…she fell asleep.  However, I still love it.  Such a cute and uplifting film.  The lead (Audrey Tautou) is brilliant and it has everything from traveling knomes to brittle boned painters.  Plus, it’s French (subtitled) so you become instantly more sophisticated just by watching it.  I also relate to the lead character very well…so that’s probably why I like it so much.
An Education – Kind of a dark feeling film throughout.  A deviation on the classic older man, much younger woman theme.  Very solid performance by Carey Mulligan in this one and the main guy (Peter Sarsgaard)is pretty convincing as well. Very good life lesson in this one…without giving too much of the plot away…beware of people that readily lie to, deceive, or belittle others.  It’s only a matter of time before their axe will fall on you.
Leap Year – Saw this one a few days ago and since I remember it pretty well still I decided to put it on the list.  Pretty much your standard-fare romantic comedy…but it’s set in Ireland, so that’s an added bonus.  Plus, Amy Adams is adorable.  And my wife thought the lead guy (played by Matthew Goode) had some of my qualities…which I don’t necessarily disagree with (especially if she was talking about the looks).  At one point, the girl said something about how people compliment her legs as one of her best features.  He looked at her askance and said, “who told you that?”  I would certainly never use such sarcasm!
 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope everyone has a good weekend and please try to keep up with your reading and viewing assignments!

No comments:

Post a Comment