Thursday, August 5, 2010

How to be cool like me…Tip #74


An excerpt from my unreleased book with the working title, Cool Like Me: 100 Tips for Increasing Your Awesomeness

Coolness Tip #74:  When talking, texting, or otherwise messaging with friends and significant others, directly cite pop music lyrics and artists in unexpected and preferably obscure ways.
This one requires a little explaining for the uninitiated.  Basically what you’ll want to do is substitute a pop song lyric or a reference to a pop song or artist into your normal conversation, where the situation allows…and where the person wouldn’t necessarily expect it.  It’s quite difficult to explain…and perhaps even more difficult to execute effectively.
Here’s an example.  Let’s say your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, or whatever calls you up while you’re driving home and asks what you’re doing.  You could reply, “I’m imitating Daughtry.”   In other words…I’m “going home.” 
Another real-life example I actually used today.  My beautiful wife texted me that she was going into work this afternoon because they were desperate and offered her extra money.  She said she needed to make that money.  I replied, “You steady chasing that paper.”  (That would be from the chorus of T.I.’s “Live Your Life” as performed by Rihanna).  Simple as that and a great time was had by all.
There are literally thousands of these you can come up with that will both prove your awesomeness and wittiness at the same time.  Some good sources to draw from include Gaga, T.I., 50 Cent, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, and Daughtry among others.  I used to be partial to “Light on” by David Cook…until I decided that he sucked. The key is, don’t be afraid to try different ones out and see what works and what doesn’t.  And definitely don’t be deterred if someone doesn’t understand the reference…that just means, relative to that person, you’re like what Mike Posner’s ex-girlfriend thinks she is. (If you can figure that one out…you’re very much up to speed.  I’m not sure I even get it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment