Sunday, August 29, 2010

Ever wonder what your favorite rock star is doing on a Sunday afternoon?

This and other musings from a weekend in the fast lane...


-  Do you ever find yourself sitting at home on a Sunday afternoon thinking…I wonder what Billie Joe Armstrong is doing right now?  I do.  Of course, I’d probably rather not find out because, if it turns out he’s sitting home in his boxers and under shirt…eating some popcorn and watching a re-run marathon of Kate Plus 8…I would be greatly disillusioned.
-  Went to pick some birthday pies at the venerable Village Inn on Saturday.  Encountered a ‘delightful’ cashier/manager.  He engaged me in a little banter…which I obviously love.  It went something like this…I walked in and said, “I have an order of a couple pies to pick up.”  I pretty much nailed my delivery…I practiced on the way over in the car…so I was ready.  Anyway, he replied with a wry smile, “oh yeah, how do I know that.”  This threw me for a bit of a loop, as I wasn’t expecting that type of reply at all.  So, I covered my discomfort by letting loose a slightly gratuitous laugh.  It was rather feeble, I’ll admit, but it served its purpose.  He then asked me the name and I told him.  I was feeling more comfortable…we were back on track and my in-the-car preparation was paying off again as I nailed this line as well.  We weren’t done though…he located the order and said, “Betsy?  You don’t look like a Betsy.”  Now, I was a bit more prepared for this one as I was picking up my mom’s order (in other words, I didn’t place the order myself), so I had anticipated a bit of delightfully feigned confusion.  However, having yet to recover my cool after being knocked off script earlier…I panicked…and ended up interjecting a slightly more gratuitous laugh.  At this point, I couldn’t have blamed the guy if he thought I was a bit deranged…or a bit simple and very easily amused.  Of course he might have been too busy reveling in his razor sharp wit to notice.  In the end, we completed our transaction and I retreated to the safety of my car with pies in tow.  Yep, this is my life…
-  Found out the other night that one of my friends (won’t mention any names…but I know he reads the blog so he can speak up if he wants to be identified) can name every member of the gold medal winning 1996 U.S. women’s gymnastics team (aka “The Magnificent Seven”).  I mean, how many people can do that?  Let alone available males…pay attention ladies.  Plain ridiculous, I tell ya.  For those of you scoring at home…the Mag 7 members were…Dominique Moceanu, Shannon Miller, Dominique Dawes, Kerri Strug, Amy Chow, Amanda Borden, and Jaycie Phelps.  And Kerri Strug’s heroic vault will live forever in our hearts.
-  Another tidbit from some gym people watching this weekend.  There’s a guy that works out at the Y pretty regularly…Michelle pointed him out to me this time as the guy that chains the weight plates to his groin and does pull-ups and dips.  I can only imagine what muscles he’s trying to work.  He also likes to don a vest-type contraption that can best be described as something you wouldn’t want to walk around Times Square wearing…as you would very likely be accosted by civilians and police before you were able to detonate yourself.  Gym people are so unique…

1 comment:

  1. Just in case the ladies really are paying attention, that's available heterosexual male...

    ReplyDelete