Friday, August 27, 2010

Weekly Wrap-Up


Some notes, links, and observations for your Friday night…

- Read an article about the new UCF basketball coach Donnie Jones.  The one factoid that jumped out at me was that Jones has a new recruiting trick up his sleeve, “…the 7-to-1 female-to-male ratio (at UCF) that Jones and his staff make certain to find a way to weave into recruiting pitches.” 
Wow!  I’ve been reading about and discussing the importance of educating women in the developing world and it looks like my very own UCF is taking the message to heart right here at home.  Of course, that statistic is beyond absurd, because a 7-to-1 ratio would mean the student population is 87.5% female!  But, I guess it should come as no surprise that our new coach likes to slip in a little misinformation every now and then to help recruiting…he did used to coach in Gainesville after all.

- Emmy’s this Sunday!  I love me some awards shows…and red carpet.  (Yes, I am male…).  Wish Ricky Gervais was hosting (or me…so I could rant about how Secret Life didn’t get any acting nominations…as an aside, if you haven’t stumbled across Secret Life yet you’re really missing out on one of the most unintentionally hilarious shows on television), but it still should be good since a lot of shows I actually watch are up for awards this year.  Here are my picks for some of the big awards…not necessarily who I think will win, but who I think should win (there are some tough choices)…
Comedy Lead Actor – Steve Carell, The Office
Comedy Lead Actress – Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation
Drama Lead Actor – Hugh Laurie, House
Comedy Series – Glee or Modern Family (toss-up…but leaning towards Glee)
Comedy Supporting Actor – Ty Burrell, as Phil on Modern Family
Comedy Supporting Actress – Jane Lynch, as Sue Sylvester on Glee
Comedy Writing – Modern Family
Reality Show Host – Ryan Seacrest (obviously…but, apparently this one’s already been awarded and my prediction record so far is 0-1)
Made for TV Movie – Super Psycho Sweet 16
TV Movie Actress – Julianna Guill, Super Psycho Sweet 16
(Ok, so the last two weren’t nominated…but they should have been!)

-  UCF golfer Connor Arendell made the final 16 of the U.S. Amateur before bowing out to the #2 seed.  That’s a strong accomplishment.  Go Knights!

-  8 days till opening day at Brighthouse Networks Stadium!  It’s almost time for…Zombie Nation .

-  Been reading a book called The Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Was expecting a biography of one of my musical heroes, Jakob Dylan, so I was a bit disappointed at first.  Turns out the book is pretty decent, though.  Nothing earth shattering…but it’s a nicely written novel in the mold of The Catcher in the Rye.  Protagonist is a high school boy (the purported wallflower).  Can’t quite figure out if he is supposed to be slightly off mentally or something…but it seems like many people can’t distinguish between quiet people and mentally disturbed people anyway…so it’s pretty typical.  That annoys me sometimes.

-  Happy early birthday to my Dad (Saturday)! 

-  Finally, tomorrow is also the anniversary of MLK Jr's "I have a dream" speech.  An incredible humanitarian and orator.  Our world is so much better because of his influence.



No comments:

Post a Comment