Monday, November 8, 2010

Event-Induced Depression...

While I extended my event attendance streak (if you don't count Sunday) to an impressive 6 days with another doubleheader tonight, the most recent experiences have brought my mood down just a bit.  I attribute this downturn mainly to the topic of the events...careers.  While thinking about getting a job is bad enough...thinking about not being able to get one is even worse.  Nonetheless, a couple of notes from the last few outings...


-  Saturday was all about International Organizations at the career event at the LSE in London (not to be confused with LSU...apparently they hate that).  This one got off to a great start when a lady representing one of the organizations led off the program by telling us about her life/career story.  Her take home message...from what I could gather...was have a rich "daddy" (yes, she did use that exact word) to subsidize your lifestyle while you gain experience volunteering with non-profits.  Then, parlay that experience into a job with a huge and world-renowned international organization.  Simple as that...outstanding advice. 

I would love to say that the day got more informative, but sadly it did not.  On the plus side, I did learn a couple of highly important tidbits. (1) Don't misspell stuff on your resume (brilliant). (2) Don't worry about your grades because employers don't look at them...they value personality more (in this case...I'm screwed). (3)  "Put down the books and pick up the wine glass" (see previous...I'm still screwed).

Now, on the actual plus side...I bolted from the event before the finish line (after hearing for the fourth time that not misspelling words on your resume was highly important and that no matter what you weren't getting a job with us without 5 years of development experience) and wandered around the theatre district/Covent Garden in London...which was pretty cool.  In fact, we ran into Dumbledore himself sitting at a cafe table and Michelle has the picture to prove it...

Dumbledore
-  Today was all about ODI Fellowships in the afternoon and the UN at night.  The ODI thing was pretty great.  ODI has a very cool looking paid fellowship program for new grads in developing countries that one of my professors recommend I check out.  Needless to say, I was excited to find out more from the director of the fellowship program that was visiting today.  Anyway, as we were all settling in, someone raised their hand and asked if only people with economics degrees were eligible.  The guy said yes.  About half the room got up and walked out.  I didn't...but might as well have.

Next up was the UN, whose representatives were in town tonight.  This event wasn't particularly enlightening either.  Suffice it to say, I don't expect a UN job to fall in my lap anytime soon.

-  All and all, it's a bit discouraging.  However, looking at it as glass half full (as I love to do...being such a natural optimist), I guess I can just see this whole process as narrowing and focusing my eventual job search.

-  As an aside, today I saw a guy riding a bike with an umbrella.  I mean, he had an umbrella up to protect him from the rain while he was riding...not just holding a closed umbrella in his hand.  This was pretty much the highlight of my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment