Sunday, January 30, 2011

Black Box Theatre...

So the main event for the tail end of the week was our outing to a local production of a play called, “Study of Young Men.”  The main attraction was that one of my classmates was the featured star. Anyway, I don’t think I’d ever been to one of these really intimate productions where the theatre is little more than a dark room with church pew-like seats and the show is done with a single set. And when I say intimate…I mean that in more ways than one.  Let’s just say I got better acquainted with the contours of the young lady sitting beside me than I really wanted to.  Apparently some people are more comfortable with sitting in tight spaces than I, as she didn’t seem to notice anything…not even the fact that she was practically groping my leg throughout. Perhaps the best part though, was when we were first establishing our seating arrangements, a group of four that squeezed in with our group of four on a bench that could comfortably seat six.  A girl in the row in front of us very nicely asked if the guy on the end of our row (a pretty boy that she apparently knew) would like to sit on their row because there was more room.  The genius replied something like, “We’re good.”  I could only shake my head. 

That bit of discomfort aside, the play was quite good and my classmate put in a very strong performance. I would say it was definitely Tony-worthy (ok, let me explain this what turns out to be an inspired bit of word play on my part, since none of you were there…his character name in the play was Anthony, which was often shortened to Tony by the other characters, and of course, you are all aware of the Tony Awards…I crack myself up sometimes).  Moving on, the consensus in our group was the first half was better than the second half. The first half was a lot more fun and filled with inappropriate humor…while the second half was more morbid and depressing. As I tend to like both inappropriate humor and morbidity…it pretty much worked for me.  Plus, there was a generous amount of loud, angry, profanity-laced dialogue…which is always exciting.  In fact, those type of conversations make me wonder just how sheltered my life has been.  Are those types of interactions at all realistic?  I can’t say I’ve ever even come close to any such interaction with anyone.  Perhaps I should add that to my New Year’s resolution list.  Participate in a real-life angry, profanity-laced tirade.  I honestly don’t see it happening…

No comments:

Post a Comment