Monday, March 14, 2011

Catching up…

Lots of stuff going down the past week or so…not really.

-  Monday we went to a public lecture by the esteemed fiction author Ian McEwan (author of Atonement, among many other novels). Very interesting talk about what he calls “the levers of fiction” (in other words, the tools of the fiction-writing craft).  I always find it fascinating to listen to people that are so passionate about their subject, whatever it might be, because it makes me think about things in a whole new perspective. One take home point from this evening…if you don’t get a particular novel…it’s your fault, not the author’s.

-  Saw two movies at the theater in the past week or so…No Strings Attached and Hall Pass (no, we’re not intentionally sticking to a particular theme).  Both were funny.  Definitely DVD-viewing worthy…unless you don’t have a TV, then seeing them in the theater is ok.

-  Apparently Prince Charles visited Cambridge today.  Unfortunately, only the smart kids were invited to attend his reception…so I didn’t get to go.  Plus, Julian Assange (aka WikiLeaks) is giving a talk on Tuesday.  Unfortunately, only those who paid the exorbitant union society were invited…so I won’t get to go.  I feel like there should be some reward for those that have the best attendance record at the ubiquitous and often more boring events throughout the year.  I feel like I would be on top of the heap in that respect…they really need some type of perfect attendance award.

-  Funny how your environment can affect your perception of things.  I was doing some job searching the other day (as usual) and came across a listing for a “CSR Position” in Titusville.  I was like, wow…a Corporate Social Responsibility job in Titusville?!? Perfect! I applied and everything…there wasn’t much of a job description.  Then I realized later…it was a “Customer Service Representative” job.  Didn’t even think of that rather obvious possibility at the time.

-  I really feel like there’s more I should be saying…but can’t come up with anything.  Sorry, I feel like I’m letting everyone down.

No comments:

Post a Comment