Thursday, October 14, 2010

Odds and Ends (or Tea and Crumpets, if you prefer)


-  I’ve been kind of busy the last few days and will be through Saturday…hence the dearth of posts.  It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what I’ve been busy doing…but I really do feel as if I’ve been busy.

-  On that note, I’m attending a conference on “New Media/Alternative Politics: Communication technologies and political change in the Middle East and Africa” that started tonight and runs through Saturday morning.  It’s being held right next door to my departmental building, so it’s not as glamorous as it sounds.  Scratch that…I just realized it didn’t sound very glamorous in the first place.  I plan on putting together a post about some of the issues raised at the conference…I know you will all be anxiously awaiting that.

-  Got an email today with an intriguing part-time employment opportunity for me and/or Michelle.  The Churchill Head Porter sent a mass email saying that they were in need of some invigilators for weekend shifts at the Science and Technology exhibit at Churchill.  The pay is only 6 pounds per hour, but on the plus side you get to tell everyone that you’re an invigilator!  How awesome is that?  Sounds like some kick-arse job straight out of the Middle Ages.  Because I had no idea what an invigilator was…I had to turn to Google.  Disappointingly, an invigilator is one that supervises examinations to prevent cheating.  This is not only disappointing, but highly confusing.  This is like a museum exhibit we’re talking about…so my thought was that they meant curator.  Maybe they just pulled invigilator out of the air to add some pizzazz and draw attention.  If so, it apparently was good marketing strategy…

-  Congrats to UCF for another dominating win last night!!  It's really weird not watching games...and even more weird how quickly I've gotten used to not watching games.  A little bit sad as well...is nothing sacred anymore?

No comments:

Post a Comment