Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Societies Fair and Assorted Observations Edition


A couple of quick notes, since I have my first lectures tomorrow and I need my rest.

-  First and foremost, good luck to the UCF Knights tonight!  I haven’t missed too many home football games in a while…but I’ll certainly be there in spirit.  I’m not going to think too much more about this now…it will make me too sad.

-  Managed to stop by (and get into) the societies fair today.  Let me tell you…the Brits are serious about their societies.  If you make the slightest eye contact, the game is up and you are pretty much on the hook.  So, beware if you ever attend one of these.  I ended up signing up on a few email lists for societies that had some events and speakers of interest to my field.  I love email lists…and receiving email in general, so it was a productive afternoon.  Also took a look at some of the sports and student groups.  The tennis table was manned by a fairly dashing and handsome young man (about what you would expect from tennis players), the table tennis table was manned by a nice Asian girl (obviously), and the black student association table was manned by a person that definitely wasn’t black (shrugging my shoulders with palms facing upward).   Unfortunately, the croquet guys were nowhere to be found.

-  One other Cambridge observation.  There are some serious fast walkers around this town.  By US standards I’m pretty quick with my stride.  But even my walking to a UCF game pace is mediocre over here.  In fact, just yesterday I was walking by myself to the city and a guy literally passed me up and left me in the dust.  Obviously, I pushed myself enough to keep in shouting distance of him and keep things respectable…but I was shaken.  I’m going to have to step up my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment