Tuesday, September 21, 2010

7 days and counting…


So, if you haven’t been keeping track…we leave for England in a couple hours less than exactly 7 days.  Is it just me…or is anyone else panicking?  I felt like I was doing pretty well up until yesterday, but I think the realization that “next week” I would be in England kind of freaked me out.  I guess it didn’t help that I finally received my program handbook that sets forth all the classes and requirements.  It’s a very overwhelming amount of work in a short period of time…at least when you look at it all at once.  I’m not so worried about the essays, papers and exams…those are pretty much in my wheelhouse…even though they will certainly be annoying.  It’s all the other little joys, like seminars and discussion groups that serve no real purpose and have no value yet universities and a lot of workplaces seem to love, that I’m really looking forward to.

On the plus side, I do always enjoy looking through all the course offerings and deciding which ones look most exciting.  Of course, years of experience at this has taught me that choosing the courses will literally be the highlight of the entire academic year.  As I peruse the course listing…I inevitably picture myself…nattily attired in a particularly sharp rugby shirt and khakis with a light sweater tied around my shoulders…happily trotting off to class each morning, prepared to soak in the brilliance of the learning environment.  Then the first day arrives and I wonder what I was thinking.  By week two, there’s no place I’d less rather be than sitting in the lecture hall (well, perhaps I’d choose a lecture hall over a bus…but other than that…).  What can I say…I know myself too well sometimes…

No comments:

Post a Comment